The original church
was founded as a result of its first Sunday School, which
was organized in 1882 in the home of Samuel McBride, the
Espanola railroad depot agent. in 1892 a lot was purchased,
the property was deeded and trustees were appointed. The
first structure was adobe, built by some of the members
who made their own adobe bricks. Services were held whenever
a pastor could come up from Santa Fe.
In 1911 Rev. D.F. Lucas
requested the bishop appoint him pastor of Espanola and
the territory north. At this point the church was reorganized
with 14 members and a church of 13 was organized at Carson
and another at Tres Piedras.
In 1913 Rev. Lucas
was followed by Rev. R.R. Yelland who died the next year.
Rev. J.A. Bretz came in 1915 and stayed one year. In 1917
Rev. W.H. Stevens came as minister. The Ladies Aid had raised
money to build a parsonage and the building was completed
later that year. Rev. Stevens stayed until 1919. When he
left the church had no pastor until 1925, after the Methodist
-Episcopal Church turned the property over to the United
In 1924 a flood seriously
weakened the adobe church and services were held in the
parsonage. When the United Brethren acquired the land and
parsonage, they built a new church and appointed Rev. James
Love to Espanola. After Rev. Love left in 1927 the church
was served by fill-in pastors along with the churches of
Santa Cruz, Alcalde and Velarde churches until 1933 when
Rev. C. Schlotterbeck was appointed. He stayed until 1941
when Rev. A.L. Brandstetter came and served the Espanola
and Santa Cruz churches. He left in 1947 and Rev. A.D. Smith
came in 1948.
During 1948 - 1949
the church investigated either remolding the present church
or building a new church. It was decided that it would be
better to build a new church. In 1951 land was purchased
for a new building, but due to changes in the status of
the church, that land was sold back to the company from
which is was bought and land was donated for the present
building site. The new building was completed in 1957.
Since the building
was completed there have been many additions to the church,
including a new organ, the three crosses outside, a variety
of stained glass windows, the rose garden, a play area,
Today the church
is located at 827 Spruce Street.
It is a local United Methodist Church and is part of
the Albuquerque District of the New
Mexico Annual Conference of The
United Methodist Church.